Welcome to Canada, and Our Family: Hiring a Foreign Caregiver


As the labor market moves towards a global economy, it’s become common now more than ever for employers in Canada to look for, and select global talent from an international pool of candidates. This holds true across Canada’s diverse and booming industries, and even among Canadian households. Many Canadian families these days are turning to the love, warmth, and culture foreign caregivers can bring into their homes.

If you are looking towards sponsoring a foreign caregiver to join, and become part of your family in Canada, it’s helpful to learn about the process, starting with a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), along with the specific requirements depending on your family’s needs.

All About the Labour Market Impact Assessment

When you apply to sponsor a foreign caregiver, you will have to secure a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). A positive LMIA indicates the need for a foreign worker to fill an open position you have, illustrating that no Canadian or Permanent Resident can fill the role. The LMIA is also sometimes referred to as a confirmation letter.

One the LMIA is available, the caregiver you wish to hire can proceed to apply for a work permit, which requires a job offer letter, contract, the LMIA number, and a copy of the document.

Requirements for Caregivers

Your family in Canada can let a foreign caregiver join your family to provide care for children, seniors, or persons with certified medical needs, in your home. The caregiver joining your family must satisfy the following requirements:

  • Provide care on a full-time basis, working a minimum of 30 hours every week;
  • Work in your private household where care is being provided; and
  • Meet the requirements set by the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) or the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Types of Caregivers Your Family Can Have

Caregivers for Children

You can hire a foreign caregiver to help with your family’s needs on a live-in or live-out basis, in caring for your children, provided that children are under 18 years of age. The caregiver you hire for this purpose can be a child care provider, live-in caregiver, or nanny.

Caregivers for People with High Medical Needs

If you have older family members requiring round-the-clock care, you can also hire a foreign caregiver to help with their daily care requirements. Provided that your family member is an elderly person 65 year of age or older, has been diagnosed with chronic or terminal illness, or has a disability. For their care, the caregiver you hire must be a registered nurse or registered psychiatric nurse, licensed practical nurse, home support worker, attendant for persons with disabilities, live-in caregiver, or a personal care attendant.

Giving Back

As your family’s needs are taken care of, the simple act of welcoming a foreign caregiver into your home also allows you to give back and say thank you for the good work they do. Over the years they spend caring for your family, your foreign caregiver can be eligible to apply for permanent residency, provided they meet the requirements set by the IRCC. This would allow them, in turn, an opportunity to build a better life in, and comfortably settle in Canada. This would also mean that it would be easier for them to continue working with your family, as permanent residents enjoy lesser restrictions when it comes to working and living in Canada – indeed, the ultimate thank you for all the years they help take care of your family’s needs.


Are you interested in working with a foreign caregiver in caring for your family and taking care of day-to-day needs? Learn more about the process through our services, and start your application today.

Call us at +1 604-917-0355  for a better family life at home.