Down to the Details: Welcoming a Foreign Caregiver at Home


You’re interested in working with a foreign caregiver to help take care of your family’s needs, and you’re excited to learn more about the love they bring, and the warmth of their culture they will definitely infuse your lives with at home – and that’s all great. But do you know what to do next? It’s time to take your next steps towards welcoming a foreign caregiver into your home and family, starting with specific program requirements you application must satisfy in order to succeed.

Program Requirements

It’s worth noting that the Temporary Foreign Worker Program has migrated to the National Occupational Classification (NOC) since October 2016. As such, there are now differences in processing fee and LMIA standards that must be observed.

Processing Fee

As a prospective employer, you will have to pay $1,000 for each position requested, in this case, a home caregiver, to cover the cost of a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which is required to prove the need for hiring a foreign worker.

Payment of the LMIA fee must be made in Canadian dollars, and can be through a

  • certified cheque payable to the Receiver General for Canada;
  • money order through mail or at a bank; and
  • Visa, MasterCard, or American Express credit card.

It must be noted, however, that if the LMIA you requested returned a negative result, or if you decided to withdraw or cancel the application, you will not be able to refund the LMIA processing fee that has already been paid, as it covers the assessment process, and not the outcome.

Also, if you request for a reconsideration of a negative LMIA application, you will need to submit a new application and pay the processing fee, essentially starting the process again.

Employers requesting to have their LMIA application reconsidered, as a result of a negative LMIA, must submit a new application and processing fee for each position.

Refunds will only be allowed if a fee was corrected in error, such as when an incorrect fee was charged and processed during the application. Additionally, Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) has a policy that does not allow employers as well as third party representatives from collecting the LMIA processing fee from temporary foreign workers.

Education, Training and Experience of Foreign Caregivers

When hiring a foreign caregiver, part of the hiring process includes making sure that the caregiver you wish to hire has all the training, qualifications, and experience that allows them to successfully and safely perform the job they were hired for.

For example, this can include having acquired a certain amount of experience, being able to perform short work demonstrations that prove their capabilities to perform the job, undergoing on-the-job training, or satisfying certain formal educational and professional requirements. In some cases wherein more advanced day-to-day care must be provided, such as when caring for members of your family with specific medical conditions and needs, the caregiver you hire may have to possess post-secondary education qualifications, such as a university degree or college diploma.


Housing for Foreign Caregivers

While you cannot require the caregiver you hire to live with your family at home, in some cases, you and your caregiver may agree that a live-in arrangement may be more suitable for your family’s needs. In this case, you must be able to provide the following needs pertaining to their accommodations:

  • Your caregiver must reside in the home of the person receiving care, and whose day-to-day needs require in-house living assistance;
  • Your caregiver must be given a private and furnished bedroom, which has a lock and safety bolt in place on the inside;
  • The building or home your in-house caregiver resides in, along with the person they will be caring for meets the municipal building requirements and the provincial or territorial health standards; and
  • The caregiver will not be charged room and board for their accommodations.

To ensure compliance, you will be required to submit the completed Schedule J, which is the Employer Supplied Bedroom Description form, along with your application.

However, not all families are capable of providing room and board for in-home caregivers, and as such, end up paying lower wages for in-home caregivers. After all, on top of the necessary medical or special care a family member requires, having to account for the living expenses of an additional member of your household can be quite the expense.

In this case, you will have to ensure that suitable and affordable accommodation is available to the foreign caregiver you wish to hire. For this, you will need to provide proof, such as newspaper listings showing that affordable housing is available in the community wherein your caregiver will be working. On the other hand, if you are able to provide in-home accommodations, and are able to pay higher wages, you will not be required to submit this proof.

While there may be a lot of requirements you will need to satisfy in order to successfully welcome a foreign caregiver into your home, and to help provide care and assistance with your family’s needs, we can all agree that there really is no price anyone can put on the warmth they will help bring into your family’s lives, and the time, attention, and expert care they will devote to assist with your family’s day-to-day needs – all in all, allowing them, and your family to lead better lives.


Excited to meet and work with the foreign caregiver who will usher in more light, love, and warmth to your family at home? With our expert support during, and handling of your application, we can ensure a smooth transition to a better life at home. Call us at +1 604-917-035 to speak with our consultants today!